Volleyball starts off strong, hopes to carry season forward

Josie+Tilbury%2FFor+the+Review.+Sophomore+Molly+McTaggart+serves+the+ball+at+a+match+against+New+Hope+Christian.+

Josie Tilbury/For the Review. Sophomore Molly McTaggart serves the ball at a match against New Hope Christian.

Jonathan Williams, News Editor

The 2014 volleyball season is off to a strong start with the Wildcats first win against New Hope Christian in non-league play setting the stage for what could be an exciting year.

The volleyball team played a solid match winning in three out of four sets.

Shane Kimura has coached the Wildcats for 36 years and is as optimistic as ever that the team could surprise some of its opponents in the ever-competitive Northwest Conference.

With 9 returners from last years roster the team looks to have a strong amount of experienced players.

Coach Kimura believes that this year’s freshmen will bring a competitive edge and will provide more depth for the team.

Kimura also mentioned “the goal is always to win conference.” The Wildcats look to have a better chance of improving their conference play with more women on the roster to assist the team.

Pacific Lutheran University, which has held the conference title for the past three years, is still the conference favorite to win the title once again.

Linfield is determined to move up in the conference standings this season with last year being their lowest standing coming in at eighth in the conference.

Kimura said his top three returning players are seniors KailanaRitte-Camara, Victoria Thompson and Courtney Wanamaker who all bring with them three years of experience in the Northwest conference as well as leadership roles to lead the team to wins against conference competitors.

The team has chances early on in the season to improve with non-conference matches against Mary Hardin-Baylor, Texas Lutheran, Trinity and Southwestern on Sept. 12-13 in San Antonio, Texas.

The Wildcats hope to improve their game by not making little mistakes throughout matches that catch up with them and ultimately cost them the match.

Kimura said, “We are off to a good start, the girls are being competitive in practice and we are looking forward to conference play.”

The Wildcats first home conference match is against the 2013 Northwest Conference reigning champion, Pacific Lutheran University at 7 p.m. Sept. 27, in the Ted Wilson gymnasium.

The Wildcats first conference match is on Wednesday, September 17, at 7 p.m. against Willamette University in Salem, Ore.