New ‘Godzilla’ focuses on humanity

Paige Jurgensen/Columnist

So, basically everyone has experienced “Godzilla” in one-way or another. As there are 28 Godzilla related films in the world today, the 2014 film “Godzilla,” which is currently in theatres, is just being the most recent. “Godzilla” first appeared in an Ishiro Honda film, with the same self-titled name in 1954. 

The premise of Godzilla is that because of nuclear experimentations in the Pacific those creatures became mutated and giant and super awesome. Those awesome mutated monsters then destroy key cities for funsies. 

The twist for the new “Godzilla” film is that Godzilla has been alive for thousands of years, since the age of the dinosaurs, and hanging out in the ocean. The atomic bomb tests in the Pacific were not actual tests, but rather just an attempt to kill Godzilla.

However, Godzilla feeds on nuclear energy, so that only fueled him. 

A flying bug monster called MUTO (or Massive Unidentified Terrestrial Organism) destroys that also feeds on nuclear energy, is hatched from a destroyed nuclear power plant, ran by Brian Cranston’s character prior to its destruction.

The MUTO then seemingly terrorizes the western world. 

Personally, all I ever want to see if monsters fighting each other.  However, the 2014 version of “Godzilla” is about 95 percent drama about humans dealing with their lives after monsters start popping up and destroying key cities on the Western coast.

(Not Portland, though, Portland is safe.)

The film stars Aaron Tayler-Johnson (from “Kick- Ass”), Ken Watanabe (from “Inception” and “The Last Samurai”) and Bryan Cranston (from “Breaking Bad.”)

The film contains a lot of beautiful special effects and the film as a whole is visually stimulating, which can be difficult to accomplish when most of a movie is a close up of upset faces and sequences of utter destruction.

The film is pretty enjoyable, for the most part, as long as the audience member does not go in thinking they are going to watch a movie about awesome monsters doing awesome monster things. 

Make no mistake; this film is a disaster movie that also occasionally shows a giant lizard. The movie is about surviving, fighting for one’s country, and relationships, both family and romantic.   

As good as this film is, it is probably one best made for rental rather than seeing it in theatres.

Theatres should be reserved for monster fights.

Paige Jurgensen can be reached at [email protected]