Small college prepares recent grads for the big leagues

Daniel Hellinger, 2013 Linfield graduate, interns with the Seattle Mariners baseball organization. At Linfield, Hellinger majored in mass communication.

“Currently, my job title is community relations intern/coordinator,” Hellinger said.

“I deal with player appearances, working with charities around the Northwest, Hawaii, Alaska and Montana, donation fulfillments, and assisting the community relations managers with auctions aiding a wide range of charities the Seattle Mariners work alongside,” Hellinger said.

Hellinger applied for the internship twice, but they refused him because he was still in college.

Studying at Linfield, also kept him far from the team he wanted to work with, but he had the job in mind for a long time. Once he had graduated, they offered him the position.

The internship has given Hellinger a lot of experience, but he still plans to gain more experience from other companies in the Seattle area and then go beyond.

“I have had internships and jobs in sales, marketing and public relations, and now community relations,” Hellinger said.

“With this wide arrange of internships and jobs under my belt, I plan on moving to Hong Kong, where I studied abroad, and start a career while traveling,” Hellinger said.

Jonathan Bosch, 2013 Linfield graduate, works in the NBA field as an account manager in the sponsorship department for the Utah Jazz.

“I write up contracts and assist in the execution process of contractual elements, main contact for Sponsorship tickets, game day duties, execute champion partner benefits and assist all account executives, senior vice president and vice president in a variety of settings,” Bosch said.

Bosch grew up in the Netherlands. He came to study at Linfield and worked as hard as possible to reach the point where he is now. He is not sure why the Utah Jazz hired an international student, but he’s glad they did.

“I spent countless hours on Linkedin, writing handwritten cards and visiting career fairs and NBA executives,” Bosch said. “One day, I had the opportunity to fly out to the Utah Jazz. It was truly a dream come true when they offered me the position.”

In the future, Bosch hopes to go deeper into the NBA field.

“My goal in the next three to six years is to be a mid-senior leader in the NBA and eventually become a general manager for an NBA team in Europe,” Bosch said. “Many people might find this unrealistic, but in this field, you need to have some ‘balls,’ more importantly you need to be willing to go above and beyond to accomplish your dreams.”

position.

Gilberto Galvez/Features editor

Gilberto Galvez can be reached at [email protected]