Inconsistent Ducks coach cause of losses

Jacob Peterson

For the Review

With just three games left before the Pac-10 Tournament, the University of Oregon Ducks are sitting at a dismal 6-9 in the conference with slim chances of advancing to the final  tournament.

After making an Elite Eight appearance last season, following a 29-8 record and winning the Pac-10 Tournament, what is the real reason behind this season’s seemingly unexpected collapse? 

The problem is head coach Ernie Kent. Yes, the man has a good career résumé at Oregon, including two Elite Eight appearances in three tournament appearances within the last seven seasons, but look at what Kent has done between the “good” years.

Not including the two years when he took the Ducks deep into March, he is just 85-66, good enough for a .562 winning percentage. Now, I am not a math major, but I do know if I finish a class with a 56 percent, I would fail.

The fact of the matter is Oregon plays a run-and-gun style of offense. Kent has said he plays a Phoenix-type game; that strategy seems to be a good idea, seeing as the Suns haven’t won an NBA title yet. 

The Ducks live and die by the three. Kent continues to recruit fast, athletic individuals who can shoot the ball. I’ve got to give credit where credit’s due—Kent does bring in players that match his game plan. However, this fast-paced game play is just too streaky to keep consistent, year-after-year success at Mac Court.

When Kent happens to get superstars to play well in the same year, for example Luke Ridnour and Luke Jackson in 2001 and Aaron Brooks and Tajuan Porter in 2007, the team can become near invincible, shooting the lights out on any given night.

However, in other years, such as this season, where no two players emerge as team leaders, the team fails ruining the season.

This fact becomes obvious if we look at the last three games, all spanning a pivotal portion of the season, when the Ducks sat teetering 6-6 in league play. Beginning with Washington State University, Oregon shot just 4-17 from 3-point range and could never overcome a 12-point deficit.

The next week,  the Ducks traveled to the Bay Area for a needed two-game road trip. Against University of Southern California, the Ducks found themselves up by 13 in the second half before crumbling in the final minutes to lose by six. Two days later, Oregon found itself up by 11 deep into the second half before failing to close out the game, eventually losing by 10.

Is anybody seeing a pattern? When Oregon’s athletic players get on a roll, they can play with anybody in the country. Sometimes playing at such a fast pace works against the Ducks as they can’t slow the tempo and run out the clock once a lead is gained.It’s fun to watch, but in the end it won’t win games.

If the team is not connecting from beyond the arc, the entire game or the momentum starts to shift away from them. They won’t win. It’s as simple as that.

The only reason Kent remains the head coach at Oregon is because once every five or six years he makes a run to the Elite Eight to save his job.

When are fans going to get a coach who can consistently deliver success out of Eugene instead of one who happens to have a good season every half of a decade?

Kent’s era at U of O should come to an end after this season. The general public needs to focus on the fact that he can’t string together two good seasons in a row and stop allowing his two Elite Eight appearances to blind everyone to that truth.

I am ready for the Ducks to emerge as a powerhouse in the basketball world. With a new stadium being built in the next few years, this is a perfect time to implement a new program. Starting with a move at head coach.